Thursday, October 21, 2010

Why I started my own art blog-- serving up a new dish...

Why I Started My Own Art Blog-- serving up a new dish:

Just imagine me with a chef hat...

A few people have asked why I’ve started my own art blog. The answer is simple really-- in the last 6 years I’ve helped establish some of the most popular art blogs online at this time. That involvement ranges from helping Myartspace Blog become an art blog that has experienced-- at times-- 30,000+ visitors per month all the way to helping lesser known art bloggers to hit on key art issues that have helped their art writing to reach more people. That said, the time for me to take steps for myself is long overdue.

Having written for Myartspace Blog, Hi Fructose Magazine, and a few other websites and art magazines-- and having been quoted by Juxtapoz online, Deutsche Bank Art Mag, The Boston Globe, the Maynard Institute for Journalism Education and other publications and websites-- I feel that I can best serve art and artists in general by having my own art blog alongside other art ventures that I'm involved with. As mentioned, this is something I’ve put off doing for years-- but now is the time.


When it comes to the art blogging community the story is always the same in that at the end of the day everyone wants their own slice of the art blogging pie-- and for the last 6 years I’ve been the guy serving plates of great art blog content with the help of great artists and others who have taken their time to introduce me and my readers to their world. It is time for me to focus some of that energy on serving myself in order to better serve my readers. Furthermore, I feel that this decision is the best way for me to 1.) reach more people. 2.) flirt with ideas and interests that don’t always fit elsewhere. 3.) further help artists and the dialogue of art online.

Point blank-- the kitchen is open. In the past I’ve sometimes had to hold my standards-- or should I say tongue?-- to the likes of Chef Boyardee. With this new direction I can promise you that the bite some have associated me with as far as art criticism goes will be more akin to that of Gordon Ramsay. Yes, I like FOX's Hell's Kitchen more than I do Bravo's Work of Art: The Next Great Artist. As you can tell I plan to have fun with this blog. Enjoy.

Take care, Stay true,

Brian Sherwin

No comments:

Post a Comment